Saturday, January 25, 2020
Home > NGOÀI CỬA SỔ > Human Rights Watch kêu gọi hủy cáo trạng đối với nhà hoạt động Nguyễn Viết Dũng

Human Rights Watch kêu gọi hủy cáo trạng đối với nhà hoạt động Nguyễn Viết Dũng

Tổ chức Human Rights Watch hôm Thứ Ba 27/03 ra thông cáo, yêu cầu nhà cầm quyền CSVN hủy bỏ cáo trạng chống lại nhà hoạt động dân chủ Nguyễn Viết Dũng và phóng thích ông ngay lập tức.

Nhà hoạt động trẻ nổi tiếng với bộ đồ rằn ri của Quân Lực Việt Nam Cộng Hòa và biệt danh “Dũng Phi Hổ”. Anh bị bắt hồi tháng 9 năm 2017 với cáo buộc “tuyên truyền chống nhà nước”. Tòa án nhân dân tỉnh Nghệ An sẽ xử Dũng vào ngày 28 tháng 3. Ông Brad Adams, giám đốc Châu Á của Human Rights Watch, nói trong thông cáo trên mạng của tổ chức này rằng, nhà cầm quyền CSVN đang phí thời gian sử dụng tội danh vô giá trị là “tuyên truyền chống nhà nước” để bịt miệng giới bất đồng. Ông Adams nhận định rằng, Nguyễn Viết Dũng và các nhà hoạt động khác đang kêu gọi cải cách đều không cho thấy bất cứ ý định lùi bước nào, trước thứ áp lực tàn bạo của nhà cầm quyền. Ông Adams cho rằng điều duy nhất mà nhà cầm quyền Việt Nam đang làm là thu hút sự chú ý của quốc tế về thái độ không dung thứ kỳ quặc đối với tư tưởng bất đồng.

Dũng Phi Hổ, nay 32 tuổi, có một tiến trình hoạt động xã hội lâu dài từ hồi còn ở trường trung học. Anh từng thắng cuộc thi truyền hình Đường Lên Đỉnh Olympia và được nhận vào Đại Học Khoa Học Công Nghệ Hà Nội với điểm thi xuất sắc. Nhưng anh bị đuổi học sau hai năm vì tham gia nhiều cuộc biểu tình. Tháng 4 năm 2015, Dũng bị bắt sau khi mặc áo rằn ri của Quân Lực Việt Nam Cộng Hòa tham gia cuộc biểu tình chống đốn hạ cây xanh ở Hà Nội. Cũng trong năm này, anh thành lập một đảng chính trị mang tên Đảng Cộng Hòa và vận động cho dân chủ ở Việt Nam. Trước khi bị bắt hồi tháng 9 năm 2017, anh đang thực hiện một loạt phỏng vấn về tình trạng học phí quá cao tại các trường học và về những ý kiến cũng như nguyện vọng của học sinh và phụ huynh trong khu vực nơi mình sinh sống.


(theo Huy Lam / SBTN)

Vietnam: Drop Charges Against Rights Activist

(New York) – Vietnam should drop all charges against the pro-democracy activist Nguyen Viet Dung and release him immediately, Human Rights Watch said today. The police arrested him in September 2017 and charged him with conducting propaganda against the state. The People’s Court of Nghe An province is scheduled to hear his case on March 28, 2018.

“Vietnam is wasting its time using the discredited charge of ‘propaganda against the state’ to silence dissenters,” said Brad Adams, Asia director. “Neither Nguyen Viet Dung nor others calling for reform have shown any intention of giving in to this kind of heavy-handed pressure. All Vietnam is doing is calling attention to its ridiculous intolerance of dissent.”

Nguyen Viet Dung, 32, also known as Dung Phi Ho, has a long history of social protest. As a high school student, he had a moment of celebrity, winning a prestigious television quiz show called Road to Mount Olympia and gaining admission to the Hanoi University of Science and Technology with outstanding test scores. But he was expelled after two years for his preoccupation with protests. Nguyen Viet Dung was again in the public eye in April 2015 after an arrest for participating in a peaceful pro-environment protest in Hanoi and charged with disrupting public order under article 245 of the penal code. In 2015, he also reportedly founded a political party called the Vietnam Republican Party to campaign for democracy in Vietnam.

In December 2015 he was put on trial at the People’s Court of Hoan Kiem district (Hanoi). During the trial, his lawyers reportedly asked the court to summon witnesses and produce the “victims” of his alleged crime. The court responded by expelling one of the defense lawyers. His other lawyers walked out in protest. Nguyen Viet Dung was sentenced to 15 months in prison, which a higher court reduced to 12 months in March 2016. He later told a freelance reporter that the police beat him and kicked him in the face and ribs when they arrested him.

After his release in April 2016, Nguyen Viet Dung immediately resumed his political and human rights activities with the motto, “No matter what happens, the final result must be Liberty n’ Separation of Powers.” He participated in multiple protests against Formosa, a Taiwanese steel company that dumped toxic waste and caused a massive marine disaster along the central coast of Vietnam. He voiced support for rights campaigners such as prominent activist Nguyen Van Dai and his colleague Le Thu Ha. He also participated in humanitarian activities, such as helping flood victims in Ha Tinh and Quang Binh provinces in October 2016.

In May 2016, when he was visiting fellow activists in Ho Chi Minh City, a group of men in civilian clothes assaulted him and took him to a police station. The police detained him and interrogated him for two days, then escorted him to the airport and sent him back to Vinh. There three men who did not identify themselves abducted him, pushed him into a car, and, as Nguyen Viet Dung later related, beat him brutally.

In Vietnam, more than 100 political prisoners are currently locked up simply for exercising their basic rights. Rights bloggers and activists face police harassment, intimidation, surveillance, and interrogation on a daily basis. Activists face long stints of pre-trial detention, without access to lawyers or family in a one-party police state that brooks no dissent.

“They punched me on my head and my arms, which bruised from the beating. They did not explain or say anything. They simply beat me continuously in the car. Not only using their fists, they took off their shoes and used the tips of the shoes to whip me.”

He told a fellow activist that the men held him for a night at a hotel in Nghe An province, where they continued to beat him and forced him to write an incriminating statement, then released him.

In March 2017, police detained several activists for participating in a commemoration of Vietnamese soldiers who died during the Johnson South Reef Skirmish between Vietnam and China in 1988. Nguyen Viet Dung and his friend Do Thanh Van went to the police station in Bach Khoa ward to demand the release of their fellow activists. Men in civilian clothes assaulted them. Do Thanh Van told a reporter at Radio Free Asia:

“Two men rushed in and kicked Dung and he fell down. Afterward, four or five men were ready to attack us. Two men beat Dung. Two men beat me. They used a plastic chair to hit my head. They probably would have continued to beat me, but the hit was hard, and I bled immediately. Blood fell down on my face and my shirt, covering my eyes. Probably because I am a woman, and also because I bled too much, they stopped beating me. They turned to beat Dung.”

Nguyen Viet Dung had been conducting interviews “about the current state of over-charging at schools and the thoughts and wishes of students and their parents in the area where he lived” shortly before the September 2017 arrest, a fellow activist said.

“It is heartbreaking to see the authorities persecute a non-violent activist again and again just because he won’t toe the party line,” Adams said. “Vietnam’s international trade partners and donors should call out the government’s thuggish and shameless behavior.”




Posted by Hà Ái Thy on Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *